Monday, May 30, 2011

My ever present foe


I have a problem. I have to finish a painting in one day, maybe two if I'm lucky, or else I lose the groove of the painting and it goes downhill. This painting is just one example. I snapped a picture of my farmer neighbor on his tractor as he passed and I was very excited to paint it. I also thought it'd be fun to show the progression of this one so on Saturday I started.


Below is the painting sketched roughly in Burnt Umber, so far so good.

Now I've blocked in the major colors and shapes, still going fairly smoothly.

Now its Monday, my painting has been sitting on my easel waiting for me to finish it. I begin to refine things, starting with the farmer who I want to be my focus. At this point I'm struggling to regain the momentum I had on Saturday and hoping I can enjoy what should be the most enjoyable part of the process. Yet my foe raises its ugly head in the form of dried paint on the palette, forcing me to re-mix my colors, which rarely ends in a satisfactory way.


I hit the "why am I even trying to save this hideous painting phase", struggle through it to a "hey maybe this will work out after all" phase, and then end somewhere in between at a "well I better quit before I get too far behind, I can live with this" phase.

'Backyard Farmer'
8x10"
Oil on Canvas panel




No comments:

Post a Comment