Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Alterations

I find myself being torn in two directions. These small paintings, studies really, are not meant to be refined works so I try to not overwork them. I learn from the successes and failures and instead of trying to fix the failures in the current piece I file the lessons learned away for further use. Yet sometimes its so tempting to modify or rework certain parts of 'completed' paintings! But what if I end up making things worse? This is the back and forth which constantly vie for my attention. That being said, I have succumbed to the temptation and have made a few alterations of two recent pieces.
My latest subject of internal battle has been that of contrast, or more specifically my paintings' lack of it. My wife/critic/consultant helped me see this so it was with the goal of adding contrast that I put these canvases back on the easel. As usual I feel like a was able to improve a few things but in the process I created additional new issues. Maybe this will help me withstand the temptation next time - yet that tractor needs some work...

Before

After

Before

After

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you've started oil painting again. I like the tractor and sheep paintings. It's cool to see shots from your every day life. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete